Essay on Problems of Drug Addictions
3148 Words13 Pages
Problems of Drug Addictions
Drugs have been a major issue for society for much of the 20th century. Drugs are something that effect everyone, regardless of race or financial standing. They not only affect the user but also how are society is shaped. There are literally hundreds of drugs currently available. All seemingly have the same affect on the user and no matter how potent or illicit, they effect the body and mind negatively. Besides these negative effects, there is the financial aspect that has affected users through many generations. Whether rich or poor, chemicals are needed by the body and the user for the feel of an intense high. Above and beyond all, there is the criminal element that always comes into play for society. Both…show more content…
This generally leads to other drug usage, and usually harder drugs like cocaine and herion which can cause major problems for the human body.
Depressants include mostly the drug known as [delta‑9‑tetradrocannabinol] or otherwise known as marijuana (Pradhan). Cannabis, which is obtained from the plant cannabis sativa, effects the central nervous system of the brain. It is grown widely across the world and is harvested as a cash crop in many countries. There are two main types: the dried leaves and buds are known as marijuana, as a solid resin it either then becomes hashish or hash. This is collected from the flower head then processed into a thick liquid, prepared in a resin. All of these preparations can be, either eaten or smoked. In some cultures, there are some herbal medicines used in many countries as a painkiller for treatment of glaucoma, insomnia in a the short‑ term effect of the drug. There is no conclusive evidence that long‑term use of cannabis can cause damage to physical and mental health. "Studies have found that prolonged heavy use does cause physical damage to the brain and short‑term memory loss has been reported in several investigations" Walter L. Way (The Drug Scene Prentice‑Hall 1970 p. 25). Short term effects of marijuana can impair coordination, attention, and memory, which could become hazardous. Barbiturates are also considered a
When people face some troubles, problems, and challenges, they look for ways to solve them. Unfortunately some people start taking drugs. This essay we would like to dedicate to drug abuse and drug addiction problem. We believe that drug addiction essay should turn public attention to this urgent issue.
Drug addiction is a disease that characterizes by a pathological inclination to use drugs. The problem of drug abuse exists for a long time and it is very hard to fight it. Only few people manage to overcome it.
Causes of drug addiction
There are certain reasons that can cause the disease.
- The main reason is dissatisfaction with life; it means that there is lack of something in a person’s life. This problem can appear even in the early childhood. A person always looks for something that can give him new feelings and experience. And in most cases drugs give what human desire.
- Another very common reason is upbringing. A child, who is brought up in a family of drug addicts or in a dysfunctional family, or incomplete family, is prone to become drug addicted person in the future. An emotional connection with the parents and their attention are very important for a child. When a child does not get it, he or she is exposed to emotional breakdowns. If a person didn’t get enough attention, he may become addicted and not only drug addicted.
Drug addiction is a disease and it is classified into 2 forms: physical and psychological addiction.
Psychological drug addiction
Psychological dependence is characterized by a painful desire to experience pleasant feelings that drugs provoke. Some people try to get rid of discomfort with the help of drugs. This kind of addiction will definitely appear if a drug is used for a couple of times. Some individuals are exposed to such an addiction right after the first use of narcotic substance. Psychological dependence occurs due to the fact that a person wants to change his condition and the feeling with the help of drugs. It is really a terrible disease. In this case a person does not leave the thought about the drug. There is a depression, bad mood. When a person gets a dose of a drug his condition changes. He becomes excited and cheerful. It happens that one can not resist his desire to get the drug. So he does everything possible to get it. Such a condition is regarded as a strong psychological dependence.
Physical drug addiction
It should be mentioned that physical dependence is much more stronger than psychological. All the body suffers in this state. When a person abuses drugs constantly the body gets used to it and it changes in such a way that it should always get drugs. Physical dependence manifests itself through somatic and mental disorders in the body. He always wants to get the drug, and almost always is in a state of narcotic intoxication.
During the period when the drug is absent, an individual feels depressed, there are sleep problems and disruptions in all body systems. These symptoms disappear only when the body gets the drug. During various types of drug addiction, withdrawal syndrome manifests itself in different ways, it means there are different symptoms. However, it should be mentioned that not all types of drugs cause physical dependence. Opiates, cannabis and ephedrine derivatives, cause strong drug addiction. In medicine, there is such a term as drugs tolerance. This means that each time the addict requires bigger dose of narcotic substances.
Symptoms of drug addiction
In fact it is very hard to recognize the beginner addict. Even experienced doctors sometimes can not do this. Sometimes a person looks very well, and you would never think that he has harmful passions. Characteristic features of the inveterate addict are the following:
- Indifferent look
- Expanded or constricted pupils, that is not caused by the lighting.
- Such a person wears long-leaved clothes no matter what weather is.
- Appearance is untidy – dry hair, swollen hands, black broken teeth.
- Such a person will slouch.
- Lethargy and do not quite understandable speech.
- Lethargy and awkward movements.
- When a person is asked, he irritates and responses in a raised voice.
- You can find marks of injections on the hand rear side. Addicts do injections throughout the body. They even manage to inject harmful substances in the blood vessels of the head. Sometimes marks of injections merge in purple-blue hemorrhage.
How to identify drug addiction in adolescents
Very often teenagers suffer from drug addiction. All the parents should pay much attention to their children. If parents are attentive they can notice and suspect that something is wrong.
- The child becomes quite secretive.
- A child can leave the house at the time when earlier he was occupied with something.
- Disturbed sleep.
- Lose of interest to the studies, as well as hobbies that the child enjoyed before.
- Very often, children begin to miss classes without explanation.
- A child behaves strangely. His behaviour reminds alcoholic intoxication.
- A child begins to demand more money. Often there is the loss of money from a purse or valuables from the house.
- A child has new friends, who are not trustworthy.
- There are often changes in mood.
- And of course there can be noticed injection marks on the hands.
Drug influence on the body
You should always remember that influence of the drugs on the body is extremely harmful.
- Cardiovascular system and heart suffer from drug.
- There is a steady decline in blood pressure.
- Pulse is also weak.
- Consequently, the body begins to suffer from lack of oxygen, hypoxia condition develops. Due to lack of oxygen there are the metabolism and organs nutrition disorders.
- Heart functioning declines and eventually heart wears out.
- Often pneumonia adds.
- If a person suffered this disease after a while there is a risk of heart failure symptoms, and as a consequence – death.
- Drug substances influence also digestive system. Due to the use of drugs, an appetite may decrease. Typically, addicts do not eat fully or even refuse to eat. Furthermore, digestion becomes difficult. There are often stomach aches.
- Human liver suffers a lot, cause it removes toxic substances from the body. That is why there is a high risk of getting such a disease as cirrhosis of the liver among the addicts.
- Prolonged use of the drug leads to the fact that a man loses sexual interest in the opposite sex. Men who abuse drugs often suffer from impotence. Some types of drugs can affect the genetics. For example, LSD rearranges some rows of chromosomes, so if a person take this drug even once there is a high chance of diseased offspring birth.
- If the drug is taken in the form of smoking, consequently lungs suffer: chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, lung cancer.
It should be mentioned that child and adolescent drug abuse is a terrible phenomenon. Kids and teenagers are very prone to get strong addiction, because their mind is not quite stable yet. Drug abuse by children can cause serious mental disorders, and dementia. Also moral destruction in children is much faster than in adults. The drugs affect adversely the physical development of the adolescent. These children are significantly behind their peers in height and weight.
Drug addiction is a very horrible disease. Very few, who have a strong will and are able to quit taking drugs, manage to overcome it. So before trying something new in your life, think about the consequences.
I think everyone should read essay on drugs, because this issue concerns every member of society. Unfortunately, drug addiction is not the only problem of our modern life. Previously we discussed cyber bullying problem. For more information visit our website. There you will find essays on urgent topics, essays about nature and its mysteries, and many others. You can also get help from our team of first-class writers. Join us, we are waiting for you!