A few weeks ago, I had one of those moments any parent would want to forget. When I dropped off my youngest child at preschool for the first time, her teacher had to physically pull her off of me in between sobs and flailing arms. Later that day, one of my colleagues was talking about her oldest child struggling to write her college essay. The irony was not lost on me as I thought about how hard every stage of parenting really is. In a sardonic tone she asked, “Does my daughter’s college essay have to be all happy, and perfect-sounding like her life is full of unicorns and rainbows every day?” I chuckled aloud; it was the first time I smiled all day.
The college essay should relate one moment, one characteristic, one experience, or one single thing that succinctly captures the student’s persona and motivation. It can be happy. It can also be sad or challenging as long as the student shows growth, self-awareness, and hope by the end of the essay.
I have read extraordinary essays about students traveling by foot to escape religious persecution, surviving the death of a parent, and even overcoming cancer. I’ve read just as many extraordinary essays about students who can impart a small ritual of eating rice every day, running, or even the experience of taking public transportation to school. Topics that are seemingly mundane can be turned into the most breathtaking metaphor and give unparalleled insight about a student. But one thing that all of my favorite essays share is a common theme of hope.
Admissions officers read hundreds, sometimes thousands of essays in a year. They want the essay to move them. But students need to be careful about the topic they choose. A sad or particularly heart wrenching essay topic can sometimes be risky without context. If the admissions officer thinks the student is immersed in a situation that could negatively impact their high school or college performance, they tend to get scared off. So a student who chooses a less than happy topic needs to be in a good place mentally and emotionally when they write the essay to show how they’ve grown.
Even the darkest moments and experiences can serve as motivation for something greater. That’s exactly what hope is. Hope can sometimes be hidden beneath the surface or muted by the grind we face on a daily basis. When a young person can tap into hope in their writing, it’s like a jolt that reminds us of the good we have in our lives. Whether reading college essays as an admissions officer or editing them now as a college counselor, I have always wanted that inspirational jolt to put a smile on my face and remind me about what really matters.
As much as social media and “reality” shows make us believe that others have more perfect lives, we all struggle every day with large and small challenges. It’s finding the hope in our everyday challenges that allows us to rebound, recharge, and re-commit to what’s important. Students can write about something purely happy in their college essay, but they don’t have to as long as they can show hope in their writing and their description of how they view their situation.
The night of my daughter’s first day in preschool, I wrote a piece to help me process all of the emotions I was feeling. It wasn’t for publication; it was merely a chance for me to see the good in being a working mom to three young children. That’s part of the authenticity that students need to recognize when writing their own college essays. A simple idea that can be happy, sad, or challenging should always have an underlying message about who we are that inspires us in times of doubt and inspires the reader as well. Hope is everything in the college process, and happiness always follows.
This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.
“School life is the best life” phrase says that life is all about learning something innovation. School gives us better education, joyful experience, careless about everything, etc. It is the essential part of human life. It is the freedom from the care and great happiness for the students.
Meaning of School life
School life is the best period of human life. People are learning from his childhood in the school, and also a school built the character of the man. It is the formative period for everyone. Every student should try to make his better life and best use of school life because it never comes again after the school session.
Firstly, every student should learn great knowledge from the school life. They have great discipline and punctuality about the school life. They must do that all work at the right moment.
He must remember that if a student becomes successful in his student career and his character is built on a sound basic; he will be able to shine in any sphere of life and serve his society and countries.
Due to the school life is but a preparation to face the challenges that the more prominent school called world will offer us once we are out of our schools. The institutions therefore other great influence upon us. They shape our character, mold our mental attitudes and fashion the basic principles of life.
Most of the people who have spent in school are the happiest and happy days of our life. There are so many memories of school life which we remind every time. School days fills our mind with happiness and nostalgic memories of happy days of yesteryears.
Some of the students tend to avoid doing home assignments and never try to dive into the hard work. The only period they take seriously is the examination set. When the announcement of the exams comes, the student feels like he’s got an electric shock. No more bullying the little kids, no more making fools of the poor teachers – time to read and revise!
Extra-curricular activities of the school life
- Most of the students have excellent knowledge in both, i.e., Study and extracurricular activity.
- They are attending all type of activity such as sports, dance, song, speech, fashion competition, etc.
- Small children are taking part in the traditional day. Every student wear different type of conventional dress
- Every school keeps his annual function of the year for students. Students take part in the activities and show his talent.
- Students must know of this all along with the study. They are showing his talent by the school. It is that place where everyone can show his ability for anything.
- School gives chances to become an own personality.
- School life we can never forget at any cost.
- Environmental Club, Social service Group, etc., are the part of the school which makes joyful school life.
- There are Matches, tournaments, cultural shows, competitions, outings, picnics, etc., make the school life lively, exciting and enjoyable.
- The critical functions of school are School Annual Sports day, Parents’ Day, Teacher’s Day, Children’s Day, Anniversary Day, Founder’s Day, etc. These are celebrated in a grand manner providing a lot of opportunities for the development of students’ inborn talents and abilities.
Regular activities of school life
- In school, there are classes held daily and interspersed with monthly tests and quarterly examinations. Those, who fare poorly in these tests and exams, are severely admonished, and in some cases, their parents are called.
- Additional classes are allotted for these students so that they get an opportunity to clarify their doubts. All co-curricular activities and celebrations are usually conducted outside school time and on Saturdays. In fact, academic excellence has been the hallmark of the school.
- School is the nursery of life. What one learns in college remains with us for the rest of our life? Realizing this fundamental truth, the authorities of school try to instill in us, the fundamental values of life such as discipline, honesty, punctuality, dutifulness, respect to elders, being good-mannered, personal cleanliness, etc.
- A lot of emphases is given to character formation, moral education and acquiring ethical principles of life. Providing social service to the neighborhood is an integral part of this attempt. A lot of importance is given to the acquisition of personal discipline.
School life is a better life, and it was the high opportunity of our life which we had earned easily. After the school life, we are missing so many memories in our mind. School life was very joyful and happy experience for us. There was a lot of fun and education which acquire ethical principles of life.
School life is best life is explained below with exclusive video.